There are three things men can do with women: love them, suffer for them, or turn them into literature.
~Stephen Stills
Nature has given women so much power that the law has very wisely given them little.
~Samuel Johnson
What men desire, is a virgin which is a whore.
~Edward Dahlbert
The girls that are always easy on the eyes are never easy on the heart.
~Author Unknown
Greetings once again ladies and gentle people, once again, I've found my way to everyone's favourite topic... WOMEN. The articles with women seems to be a crowd pleaser, who would have guessed it... women love women, men love women, readers love women, I love women... though I am ever cautious of them. Ironically, Courtney Melody's 'Modern Girl' just started playing on the computer, "I need a modern girl with some old fashion loving..." Ha what a dream eeh? Anyway! I digress. This week's prattle knocked me over the head while down by Freeport last week Friday. Went to link a friend and while waiting, a familiar face from Peace View/Cassava Walk, a cute Miss by the name of Kedra, pops up with another hotty hotty friend and start to hold a palaver with a crew of Rasta. A lively and animated discourse on the state of Rastafari today pops up, not under that nice intellectual banner I just typed out, but in the more everyday forms of conversations, when the girls broach the topic of "how dem now days Ras yah so hot?" Drum roll and that t.v. thematic sound that chips in when something surprising happens (doom dum dmmmmm, or something to that effect). The girls broached that timelessly sensitive topic about what does and doesn't a Rastaman do?
Now the age old tale of men with long hair and women is cast anew. It seems coincidental that in my music play list is a young woman by the name of Regina Spektor who sings a song called Samson. It's about loving a man with long hair, and cutting it... took me sometime to appreciate that song but... I got around to it. By the way on the topic of Samson, I'll share a nice Bible verse with you... help wash down this topic... Judges 16 vs 17 "And he told her all his heart, and said unto her: `There hath not come a razor upon my head; for I have been a Nazirite unto God from my mother`s womb; if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.`And when Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called for the lords of the Philistines, saying: `Come up this once, for he hath told me all his heart.` Then the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and brought the money in. And she made him sleep upon her knees; and she called for a man, and had the seven
locks of his head shaven off; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him."
Mind you, Kedra and her friend never came to trim anybody, but... they did under the guise of fun, joke and entertainment, asked the Rastas some piercing and pinching questions. The first was the crack at "how dem now a days Ras yah so hot eeeh? Straight pants and boasty turban, polo shirt... A whaaapm to crocus bag, whaapm to slippers and sandals eeh? Tell you bout dem now a days Ras! Her friend proceeded to chant "Hatta Ball, Fiyah Ball." It didn't end there either, one of the two then exclaims no sah, mi tink mi all a smell roll on... nutten good nah gallang roun yah man, dem now a days Ras! They playfully harassed another Rasta about resembling Bin Laden, they danced with the Rasta man, they teased and provoked in only a way a woman can, "yuh simmi, yuh ovastand!" They attacked me on the issue of me wearing ear ring, they even touched the topic of matters of the flesh.
On matters of the flesh, I remember a police after search a Rasta friend of mine, started giving his girl a little speech, so the police asks who was her MAN, after she hesitated and fumbled, the Ras told her to speak up and tell him. Upon realising that he was lyrics the Rasta man's woman, the police proceed to chastise the young man and lament on and on about how he "cyaah understand dem new fandangle Rasta, have hot girl, and mix up wid so much flesh and how the way old time Rasta bun flesh not yuh not even too see dem wid ooman" and yadda yadda yadda. I have a friend Mr. Pierce, Teacher P. Who whenever spotting me even giving a girl the eye, love to grumble "Harumph... hmmm... tell you about Rasta today you see... hmmm... nuh artical at all... love flesh too much... Delilah." Just the other day some people and I were debating Sizzla Kalonji who one man lamented had gone a stray... from "Black Woman and Child" to "Pump Up Her _-_-", and in all seriousness and logical reasoning I had to ask, so after celebrating Black woman and child, isn't it only fair and reasonable that he get a chance to tell you how Black woman got that child? More questions of Rasta and women arise, and the women out at free port had questions to arouse and arise. Sometimes even I have to wonder how so few Rastas have a Rasta Woman, and how so many Rastas go to a Salon, which reminds me, my friend Junior X/Tash has a pretty Sister (Niesey) who I call Fantasy Sister and when I do, he reminds me... "Heh mek sure yuh 'member seh Niesey own hairdresser shop and dem chemical deh cyaah come off ar hand, so you better know wah yuh eh do."
The nature, state, role, function, form and evolution of Rastafari, especially Rasta and women today carry a whole lot of questions to the front (no pun intended) and are questions and issue I think most Rasta shy away from, and I think they are pertinent relevant questions that need to address, not just Rasta and woman, but the whole body that is Rasta. Till next week... in the words of Kedra "HATTA BALL!" Hahahaa.
No comments:
Post a Comment